Print and None
>>> 'Go Bears' 'Go Bears' >>> print('Go Bears') Go Bears
>>> None >>> print(None) None
None is special in Python, it represents nothing.
A function that does not explicitly return a value will return
None is not displayed by the interpreter as the value of an expression
>>> x = -2 >>> x -2 >>> x = print(-2) -2 >>> x >>> print(x) None
An interesting example:
>>> print(print(1), print(2)) 1 1 None None
Pure Functions & Non-Pure Functions
- Pure functions just return values
- Non-pure functions have side effects
With a def statement:
- A new function is created
- Name is bound to that funciton in the current frame
With a Call expression:
- The operator & operand(s) are evaluated
- The function (value of operator) is called on the arguments (value of operands)
Note: A name evaluates to the value bound to that name in the earlist frame of the current environment in which that name is found.
Miscellaneous Python Features
|Operator||What it does|
>>> from operator import * >>> mod(3, 2) 1 >>> mod(3.0, 2) 1.0 >>> mod(3.1, 2) 1.1 >>> mod(3.2, 2) 1.2000000000000002
A statement is executed by the interpreter to perform an action.
A compound statement consists of one or more clauses, each of which has a header and a suite.
def is a compound statement.
- The first header of the compound statement determines the statement type
- The subsequent header of each clause controls the suite that follows
Falsey values in Python:
False, 0, '', None,  # There are more!!
>>> i, total = 0, 0 >>> while i < 3: ... i += 1 ... total += i ... >>> i 3 >>> total 6
Execution Rule for
- Evaluate the header’s expression
- If it is truthy, execute the suite, then return to step 1.
andreturns the first falsey value, if any.
orreturns the first truthy value, if any.
ordo not short-circuit, they return the last value.
Things to Take Note
Here’s something for you to ponder:
>>> 0 == False True >>> 1 == True True >>> 2 == True False >>> 2 == False False
More to ponder: Why does the boolean value get casted to an integer first, and not the integer casted to a boolean first?
Python Operator Precedence
Common ones in descending precedence (most binding to least binding):
Here is the official Python Operator Precedence Chart in case you’re interested.
Hey, kudos for making it this far! If you've liked this, you might also like tmux Cheatsheet and Shortcuts.